Trekking newly or old habituated gorilla family in Uganda. Pros and cons
Gorilla trekking permits in Uganda are booked according to area, especially with Bwindi Impenetrable National park but each area has its specific gorilla families.
You need to know where each gorilla family is located so that in case you wish to specifically view a certain family, you can easily identify it.
With the introduction of gorilla trekking in Uganda, over time a number of families have been habituated and introduced to the world. As of now, the mountain gorilla families that Uganda is celebrating to be opened for tourist viewing are 19 gorilla trekking families.
Uganda’s gorilla trekking destinations include Bwindi Impenetrable National park and Mgahinga National park only.
Most Popular Safaris
- 3 day Uganda gorilla trekking
- 5 days gorillas & chimp safari
- 3 day Uganda gorilla via Kigali
- 5 days gorilla trekking Rwanda
- 5 day Uganda gorillas & wildlife
- 3 day fly in gorilla habituation
- 5 day gorilla habituation and chimps
- 3 day Bwindi double trek via Kigali
- 5 days gorillas & game safari
Some of Uganda ‘s Gorilla families include
Buhoma Area of Bwindi impenetrable national Park has Mubare gorilla family, Habinyanja gorilla and Rushegura gorilla family.
Ruhijah area of Bwindi impenetrable National Park has Bitujura gorilla family,
Rushaga area in Bwindi impenetrable National Park has Nshongi gorilla family, Kahunge gorilla family, Busingye gorilla family, Christmas gorilla trekking family
Nkuringo area of Bwindi impenetrable National Park has Nkuringo gorilla family
How To Book Gorilla Trekking Permits In Uganda
In Uganda, only Mgahinga National park permits are booked for only one gorilla family called Nyakagezi. The Bwindi Impenetrable National Park gorilla permits are reserved according to area. This was one tactic used to enable all areas to receive visitors.
In the past, gorilla trekking permits were booked according to family, which lead to unequal visit in the park. Majority of people preferred to visit mountain gorillas in the Northern sector of the park particularly Buhoma area. The other gorilla families that were not frequently visited would try to turn back to there wild behaviors. This then required rehabilitation, which is costly, and time consume.
Have dates when you expect to go gorilla trekking and estimate the number of people you hope to travel with.
In case there is availability we advise our clients to purchase there permits as soon as possible because they are sold off fast. They are sold according to first come first served basis and reserved upon payment. Securing your gorilla permit is the only confirmation that shows your interest in taking the gorilla trekking safari.
You are required to forward some details about yourself like the full names on your passport, nationality, date of birth, passport expiry date and others. Some of these are added to your after gorilla trekking certificate and some are used for statistical purposes.
Which accommodation To Book For Gorilla Trekking Safari In Uganda
Accommodations to use during gorilla trekking in Uganda area graded according to Luxury facilities, Mid-range facilities and Budget facilities. Note the area where your gorilla permit is booked so that you can secure accommodation within or close to this area of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. This is because the driving from one area to another is long yet at times huddles may be found on the way.
Everybody must attend briefing early morning and missing may cause you to be disqualified. This is because some instruction to follow for the trek are explained in details and also specific traits about particular gorilla families are given too.
Some of the accommodations in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park include clouds lodge, Gorilla Safari Camp, Gorilla Forest Camp, Silverback Lodge, Bwindi View Bandas, Trekker’s Tarven and others.
Mgahinga National park accommodations include Gahinga lodge and others can be booked in Kisoro town.
When Is The Best Time To Book A Gorilla Trekking Safari In Uganda
Booking gorilla trekking safaris in Uganda requires having a gorilla permit, which you must secure atleast 6 months in advance. Although you can also reserve your gorilla permit 90 days to the date of trekking, its risky because they get sold off fast.
Many people even purchase there gorilla permits a year in advance which gives them chance to pay in instalment. You have to remember to top up your gorilla trekking permits at least 90 days to the date of trekking.
All year round, you can book your gorilla trekking safari but do it in advance to avoid last minute panic as you search for the permits and accommodations.
How Difficult Is Gorilla trekking In Uganda
Gorilla trekking in Uganda is done in a volcanic area so expect some ridges, plateaus and other highlands, you need to have some level of fitness to go through this entire adventure.
The hikes are strenuous at times especially when the mountain gorillas are feeding from the slopes. The rain seasons normally push them to the slopes because the ground is soggy and vegetation covered with mud.
When you get to the slopes, some patience is required so that you do not give up on the hike to where the mountain gorillas are lounging or feeding at.
At times, the gorillas also feed from the deep valleys so you have to slope to locate them too.
To get through with these topography challenges, you need to wear the right safari boots that can withstand the conditions of the wilderness.
What Is the Locating Time For The Mountain Gorillas
Locating the mountain gorillas may take between 2 hour to about three quarters of the day depending on a number of factors like:
The proximity of the gorilla food
Mountain gorillas feed on foliage, which is leaves, soft stems, fruits and others. They feed from a particular area for a long time but when there food is exhausted, they seek new feeding grounds.in case they move into the deeper ends of the forest, trekking the gorillas may take along time.
Attacks from other gorilla families
At times when a gorilla family to trek gets into a fight with another family and loses, they may move further than their known location. You need to move an extra distance to locate them. when a family of gorillas loses a member, they go into a somber mood that may push them into hiding.
Receiving victory in a gorilla family
Sometimes when a particular gorilla family wins a battle, they tend to be happy and may be seen celebrating for some time. Even birth of an infant may cause the family to show off and this may make trekking them faster.
To locate the mountain gorillas, you need to have some patience and pack the right gorilla trekking gear like snacks, safari boots, long-sleeved shirts and so much more.
Which Is the Best Area For Gorilla Trekking In Uganda
Since gorilla trekking in Uganda is mainly known to be held in Bwindi Impenetrable national park, area of trekking is specified to this park too.
The feeling you get after gorilla trekking is unmatched and makes you forget the challenges experiences to locate the mountain gorillas.
Whether trekking gorillas in Buhoma, Ruhijah, Rushaga or Nkuringo area, its all about that moment when you take off just one hour to view the gorillas.
It is hard to identify the best area to trek the gorillas unless you have an experience in all of them. That moment when you stand in front of the gorillas and look deep into their sunken brown eyes makes you get some chills and may stimulate some adrenaline amidst the excitement.
What Is The Age Limit For Gorilla Trekking
15 years is the age limit for gorilla trekking because of a number of factors like
The time to locate the mountain gorillas is unknown so a child below this age may find it challenging to withstand a long walk in the forest. They get tired very fast and bored too.
The topography of this area is volcanic meaning you need to hike to get to the mountain gorillas at times. The ability of children below this age to climb some ridges and plateaus may not be quite possible. Making the trek challenging for them
At times the gorillas provoke their visitors with some touches which may not go well with a child below this age
The first glance at the mountain gorillas is scaring and may stimulate some adrenaline. You need to control your adrenaline then so that you do not cause these apes to see you as suspicious. Even staring into the brown eyes of the mountain gorillas may cause them to move into the deeper forest ends.
Making noise in the forest is forbidden which may be quite hard for a child below age 15 years to with stand especially when scared. This may cause a stampede in the forest even amongst other primates.
How Dangerous Are The Mountain Gorillas in Uganda
Mountain gorillas are generally peaceful despite their sheer size. They are very shy and since the introduction of gorilla trekking, no report of violence has been recorded with the mountain gorillas. Ensure you respect the rules of gorilla trekking and the instructions given by the ranger guide,
Although the mountain gorillas are wild animals, they have mood swings too so avoid doing anything that may agitate them.
The dominant silverback may be quiet somewhere but very observant with everything happening to his family. In case they get agitated, the silverback will ask the rest of the family members to retreat into hiding. Remember only an hour is allowed in the presence of the mountain gorillas.
What Are The Rules Of gorilla Trekking in Uganda
- Do not spit on the vegetation because it is food for the mountain gorillas. It one of the ways you may spread an infection to the mountain gorillas.
- Littering the forest is forbidden because it alters the nature of the forest where food for the mountain gorillas grows
- Burry all faeces in a hole at least 30 cm deep so that no forest dwellers can exhume anything. it should be buried beyond recognition.
- Eating or smoking 300 meter from the gorillas is forbidden because the effect of the smoke may be felt later by the gorillas. Even feeding the mountain gorillas is forbidden because they are wild animals than must search for own food.
- In case you wish to sneezes, do it away from the mountain gorillas so reduce on the chances of passing an infection to the mountain gorillas.
- Keep a distance of about 8 meters from the gorillas when you meet them. this is to narrow chances of catching an infection from them or your to them
- Wearing a mask during gorilla trekking is a must as one of the measures adopted after the covid-19
- In case you feel any illness or have a communicable infection like flu, cholera, ebola volunteer to stay behind so that you do not pass this infection to the highly susceptible mountain gorillas. They are highly susceptible to these infections which may cause to there massive death.
- Only one hour is allowed with the mountain gorillas when you locate them. They have been habituated to be in the presence of humans for just that one hour. Later they must be left alone to feed with no human interference.
- Using flash photography is forbidden because it may scare the mountain gorillas that are very sensitive to foreign occurences in there vicinity.
- Do not surround the mountain gorillas when you locate them because they feel ambushed.
- Provoking the mountain gorillas is forbidden because you are not sure of thereafter reactions.
What to Pack For Gorilla Trekking In Uganda
- Safari boots to wear in the wilderness so that you can go through the entire trek successfully.
- Garden gloves to hold a tighter in case you slide and fall
- Safari long sleeved shirt and convertible trousers to wear in the wilderness and protect your body from rough surfaces in the jungle.
- Raincoat to protect you from getting wet while in the jungle
- Sweater or warmers to keep you warm in the morning or afternoon when it gets cold.
- A pair of binoculars to get better view of far ranging features
- A camera to capture special memories of gorilla trekking safari.
Contact us for more information.