Planning A Successful Wildebeest Migration In Tanzania and Kenya
Organizing an Africa Safari requires advance planning and the wildebeest migration tour in Tanzania and Kenya is no exceptional. The period for the great migration is predicted to be June to September but the day when it starts is still a mystery.
The great migration in Tanzania and Kenya is normally a peak season composed of high accommodation prices, crowds of vehicles in Masai Mara National Reserve and Serengeti National park, noise and much more. This is the highlight of all East African Safaris viewing huge masses of wild animals moving in a particular direction.
Most Popular Safaris
Briefly, summary of great migration in Africa is that, it may start in Tanzania in the earlier months that is June when grass becomes scarce in Southern Serengeti National park. The earlier months that is March to May see the birth of thousands of many infants that join the already big crowd of ungulates. As they grow older, grass becomes more scarce.
The demand for pasture pushes the zebras to start moving northwards followed by wildebeests, gazelles and other ungulates. The canning predators like lions, hyenas, cheetahs, Jackals and others start salivating for there upcoming prey fiesta.
How To Plan A successful Wildebeest Migration in Tanzania and Uganda
- Know the People you wish to travel with For great wildebeest migration
- Book accommodation for great wildebeest migration in advance
- Apply For Visa and fulfill required Kenya travel recommendations
- Combine Great Migration with Other East African Safaris
- Request for help from an African tour operator on ground
- Pack the right Africa safari gears
- Plan to spend some days in the park during the great wildebeest migration safari
Know the People You wish to travel with For Great Wildebeest Migration
Having a rough estimate of the people you wish to travel with for the great wildebeest migration is the starting point of all plans. It is best to do this latest 6 months in advance so that everyone interested puts it in plan. Tourists plan and book for great migration in Tanzania or Kenya a year or two in advance then keep adjusting according to the terms and conditions set or prevailing circumstances.
Knowing the number of people helps in booking accommodation, which vehicle to hire, the number of safari guides required and so much more. All this preparation is to ensure you enjoy your Africa safari experience and get value for money. Last minute preparations for a group may cause miss calculation, makes the trip boring and expensive.
Book accommodation For Great Wildebeest Migration In Advance
Where to overnight during the peak season of the great wildebeest period is a problem as masses of tourists flock Masai Mara and Serengeti National park every year. During this period, the prices of safari accommodation in these two parks in Tanzania and Kenya are very high.
Despite the high cost of accommodation, crowds of tourists still make it to experience the great wildebeest migration in Kenya and Tanzania. That moment when the wildlife crowds cross the Mara River into Kenya is the most amazing.
Every animal is on survival for the fittest as predators like lions, crocodiles spot and snap the wearied migrants for a meal. In case you want to enjoy animal drama, June to September is the best time to experience it. You may have the chance to capture predators being chased by prey. This is a rare occurrence but possible too.
A variety of choice for accommodation in Serengeti National Park and Masai Mara National park are available that range from Luxury, mid-range to budget.
Apply For Visa and fulfill required Kenya travel recommendations
Tourists from countries that require applying for a visa before entering Kenya must do it in advance. Ask about these details from your travel Agent so that you are advised accordingly. Filling in Kenya visa arrangements at immigration is time consuming on arrival especially if you travelled on a long flight. You want to get into your transfer vehicle urgently to rest or catch up with your domestic transfer flight.
Combine Great migration With Other East African Safaris
When you make a combo of Great migration with other East African safaris you enjoy the best experience of your holiday in Africa. East Africa has some of the rarest Animals in the world.
Since Kenya or Tanzania are in the same community with Uganda or Rwanda that are gorilla trekking destinations, you can do great migration and gorilla trekking. An alternative activity is chimpanzee trekking in Kibale or Nyungwe National park.
You must book the gorilla trekking permit for Uganda or Rwanda in advance. Meanwhile as the time when the great wildebeest migration is to occur is unknown, you can spend some time exploring East African National Parks until the suspected date for the occurrence draws closer.
Request For Help From An African Tour Operator on ground
Asking for help may solve a lot of mistakes you may do during your preparations for great wildebeest migration in Tanzania or Kenya. Do It Yourself (DIY) for a first time traveler on safari may not be a great idea especially if not on ground.
Sometimes one may wish to save some money by personally organizing the Great wildebeest migration safari but end up spending more than expected or dealing with fake people. Hiring a safari guide with no knowledge or less information about safaris makes the trip boring.
At Encounter Africa Safaris, we do offer free advice to customers who wish to know more about East African safaris like the great wildebeest migration, gorilla trekking, birding and much more.
Enquire from us and will get back to you with the right safari updates as soon as possible. The internet is a very good source of information about the East African safaris but you need truthful confirmation from a person on ground
Pack The Right Africa Safari Gears for the great Wildebeest Migration
Packing light but relevantly during any holiday saves you from carrying bags that may be very difficult to monitor during your safari. Even space in the vehicle many be limited by to many bags especially if you are sharing with other people.
Sometimes you may be required to pack and unpack in case you are changing rooms or accommodation facility. It is annoying to go through your bags again and again just to find what you want to use while on safari
Pack in Duffel Bag with no rollers.
Foldable Safari hat
Wearing a hut to protect your hair from buzzing insects in the wilderness is a great decision. The tracks are dusty too so you need to protect your head too.
Pack in cubes
In case you have to go through checkup, you need to save time by packing in cubes that you can quickly repack.
- Packing convertible safari wear in colors that are nature friendly makes the trip fantastic. You can wear trouser during cold early morning game drives and later covert them to shorts when it gets too hot. Pack safari wear in colors like Khaki and tan that will you are comfortable wearing under dusty roads.
- Insect repellant
- To smear the body with and keep away stinging insects.
- A camera with a good lens especially for photographers and those who wish to capture great memories of there safari experience.
- First aid kit in case of emergencies while on safari.
- Some hard cash to use for personal purchases or transactions just in case you need too.
- A pair of binoculars for clearer viewing in case of far ranging animals.
- Safari boots to protect your feet from wild insects or creepers just in case you get the opportunity to step out. This is not recommended without an armed ranger guide.
- Toiletries in case your lodge doesn’t provide them or you have a sensitive skin.
- Flip flops to change into in case you need some aeration especially after a long day in the field.
- Sun screen to wear on your skin in case you have to busk by the sun on the pool
- Sun glasses to protect your eyes from the scotching sun.
- Swimming costume to use at the lodges with pool service.
- Bug spray just in case your lodge is infested with bugs.
- A torch to use in case solar power runs low.
Plan To Spend Some More Days In the Park During The Great wildebeest Migration Safari
Since the great wildebeest migration is not choreographed to happen on a certain day or time, you need to book some more days for great migration adventure.
During the time when the great wildebeest migration is expected to hit high, plan to stay in either Serengeti national Park or Masai Mara National Reserve for about 5 days. This gives you chance to soak into the unset movement of huge crowds of wildlife, which is amongst the top world wonders.
By choosing when you want to go and what you want to see, you get to target the right time to have the highlights of the great wildebeest migration.
When Is The Best Time For Booking Great Wildebeest Migration In Africa
Great wildebeest migration is series of events that keep unfolding all year. Right from calving in January through March, then June to September the peak season for crossing into Masai Mara National Reserve.
You need to know the progress of the wild animal voyage in order to select the best timing for your safari.
The great migration procession is triggered by factors like rain patterns coupled by animals instincts, need to survive and others. It is quite challenging to determine the exact day when the journey is to begin.
As explained above the course of the great wildebeest migration is just an assumption that has been developed overtime. Those who love following the course of the wildebeest migration normally keep the world updated.
Some people book there safari packages atleast a year in advance and keep adjusting according to the prevailing conditions of the course.
For those who wish to do birding, January to March is the best time to book a safari to especially Serengeti National Park. You can enjoy birding and beautiful views of large crowds of wild animals.
How Much Is The Cost Of Great wildebeest Migration safari
Whether booking the great wildebeest migration package to Serengeti National park or Masai Mara National Reserve, the cost of pack fees is constant across all budgets.
Other factors you must consider when costing for a safari including great migration in Africa are.
- Number of people travelling with
- Type of accommodations to stay at that is luxury, mid-range or budget
- The number of days you expect to be on safari especially if you wish to enjoy a number of events at the river crossing point. At Mara river crossing, the wildebeest face life and death as predators like crocodiles, lions, cheetahs are present to catch them. Even the wildebeest are lucky at times to step out of the raptor traps. Do not expect this to happen all the time but overtime.
- Consider other activities you hope to combine with great wildebeest migration like chimpanzee trekking in Tanzania, a tour to Lake Manyara, have time at the beach and much more.
- The means of transport you hope to use during great wildebeest migration contributes a lot on the total safari cost. You may choose to fly to Serengeti National Park or Masai Mara National Reserve on scheduled flights or even charter to either parks. This is quite costly compared to on ground driving. Even the type of vehicle you use for the safari matters in the total cost. In case it’s a safari land cruiser with a porch, its price is different from the safari van.
- Using a professional safari guide for the great wildebeest migration gives you a better insight into the details of this natural world wonder. Many drivers can take you to either Masai Mara National Reserve or Serengeti National Park but one who is informative costs a higher price.
- Gas or fuel to use during the game drives in Masai Mara National Reserve or Serengeti National Park must be included during costing. Different vehicles consume gas differently so this must be a point to consider
Get in touch with us for more information.