How much is a gorilla permit in Uganda
How much is a gorilla permit in Uganda? The Cost Of Uganda Gorilla Trekking permits currently is $800 per person per trek. The Uganda wildlife authority is responsible for selling and issuing the gorilla trekking permits for this a Uganda primate safari
In the past, the Uganda gorilla permits were paper tickets but to save on the amount of paper printed, the country embarked on using reusable gorilla trekking cards. You need to book your gorilla permit for Uganda in advance to avoid last minute panic.
Uganda had two distinctive gorilla trekking parks that is Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga national park. All these lie in the southwestern part of Uganda. To book the accommodation for Bwindi Impenetrable National park you need to know where your gorilla trekking permits is booked.
Most Popular Gorilla Safaris
- 3 Day Uganda Gorilla Trekking
- 5 Day Gorilla and Chimp
- 8 Day Gorilla Tracking
- 2 Day Bwindi Gorilla Via Kigali
- 3 Day Uganda Gorilla Via Kigali
- 5 Day Chimp and Gorilla Habituation
- 3 Day Fly in Gorilla Habituation
- 3 Day Fly in Safari to Murchison Falls National Park
- 3 Day Bwindi Double trek via Kigali
- 5 Day Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda
Bwindi impenetrable National park is vast making access from one area to another quite challenging especially if you have to rise up early for briefing. The Uganda Wildlife Authority divided this park into four gorilla trekking areas that is Buhoma area, Ruhijah area, Nkuringo area and Rushaga area.
Each of these are s has individual gorilla families to which a maximum of 8 clients is accorded after briefing each day.at the moment, Bwindi impenetrable National park has about 18 gorilla trekking families open for tourists viewing in uganda.
Mgahinga national park which is the smallest Uganda a national park occupying about 33.7 square kilometers. This is home to one opened gorilla family called Nyakagezi. Over the years, this family has been known to be very mobile and its gorilla permits sold on arrival.
All gorilla permits whether for Bwindi Impenetrable National park or Mgahinga National park cost $800 for foreign non-residents, $700 for foreign residents and 300000shs for east African residents.
What Is Included in The gorilla Trekking Permit Cost
Park Entrance Fees
To support the conservation fund for Uganda wildlife Authority, every tourists is required to pay park entrance fees. For the Uganda gorilla permit, this fees is included in the cost of the gorilla permit
In case you are to do other activities in the park like birding, other primates’ walk, nature walk, mountaineering and others, you need to pay park fees according to Uganda Wildlife Authority costs.
Ranger Guide Fees
The ranger guides are the frontline soldiers in the conservation of the mountain gorillas. by 1980s, the population of the mountain gorillas was at the rim of extinction amounting to about 300 mountain gorillas.
One of the ways to revamp there glory was to include humans in the conservation campaign. To keep these rangers loving the work of protecting the mountain gorillas and other forest occupants, they deserve some payment. It’s part of this gorilla permit fee.
In case you wish to individually tip the rangers guide after gorilla trekking, you are free to do so. It another way to encourage them to continue supporting the lives of the mountain gorillas.
Gorilla Medication Fees
The best medication for the mountain gorillas is in the wild amongst the many herbs they eat but at times there health status needs a human hand. This is the relevance of the mountain gorilla doctors.
This team of veterinary doctors also keep records of the behavior of the mountain gorillas. They participate in gorilla habituation too to be able to keep record of every mountain gorilla’s life.
Profit Sharing with Community
In the bead to keep the community feeling the relevancy of the presence of the mountain gorillas in there community, part of the annual proceeds from gorilla trekking are given to them. They use this money to support community project like roads, build schools, keep water sources great and so much more.
You can still individually support the local people directly by hiring them as porter. Taking community walks like the Mgahinga National park Batwa community wallk or Buhoma community walk is great.
Gorilla area security purpose
Apart from the ranger guides, the Bwindi forest and Mgahinga areas need extra security from Uganda security forces. These are ancient forests with trees that have existed over the years and can give off very expensive timber.
Conservation of these species requires extra support from security agencies in Uganda.
This area is close to the D.R.Congo where rebel activities are known to happen over the years. The boundaries of Uganda and tourists too have to be protected from these bandits.
How To Book a Uganda Gorilla Trekking Permit
The Uganda Wildlife Authority is the governing body for all Uganda gorilla permits. You must know when you wish to travel for gorilla trekking. Even how many people to travel with in case you have a party travelling with you for this adventure.
Send us an enquiry about your tentative to confirmed date of gorilla trekking. Our safari consultant from Encounter Africa Safaris checks availability and gets back to you with the relevant details about the prevailing gorilla permit status.
In case availability is positive we request our clients to purchase there permit in advance. This is because availability status of the Uganda permits changes very fast due to high demand worldwide. No one is allowed to reserve a gorilla permit on behalf of anyone without payment
First come first served basis is the only way gorilla permits in Uganda are sold to clients to meet there demand. Remember just 8 gorilla trekking permits are issued per day per gorilla family.
To issue your gorilla permit card, you need to provide some personal details like your full names on the passport, date of birth, nationality, passport expiry date and others as required.
With these details, the gorilla permit card is printed with all these details on the electronic strip at the back.
Part of these details are used to fill your certificate of gorilla trek accomplishment after emerging from this vast thick forest.
What Is The Best Time To Book Uganda Gorilla Permits
Booking Uganda gorilla trekking permits requires advance booking. Most travelers book as early as 6 months, a year in advance or even years in advance. This is because of the high demand for the permits especially during the peak season.
Last minute gorilla permit booking may cause you to panic with even other safari requirements like accommodation, car hire, knowledgeable ranger guide and others.
When you book your gorilla permit in advance, chances of paying in instalments according to the policy of Uganda Wildlife Authority are high.
Being waitlisted for a gorilla permit is very risky in Uganda where permits are booked according to area. An opening may surface at the last minute in another area yet driving to get there may be quite challenging because of the nature of the roads at times when it rains.
Are Gorilla Permits Refundable In Uganda
Yes and no according to the Uganda wildlife Authority. In case you are a no show without reason given to Uganda wildlife Authority in advance, you may end up not being refunded.
You need to report in advance about your reasons for not attending gorilla trekking after purchasing your permit. This is one of the basis you or your our booking company can use to claim your refund but this may not be 100 percent refund according to the policy of Uganda Wildlife Authority.
What Is The Age limit For Gorilla Trekking
15 years above is the age limit for gorilla trekking because of the nature of the gorilla trekking adventure.
Finding the mountain gorillas at times requires you to hike, slope at the deep bottom which may be strenuous at times.
What Time do you locate the mountain gorillas
Finding the mountain gorillas may take between 2 hours to three quarters of the day depending on the conditions in the forest.
You need to have some patience while trekking to find the mountain gorillas because they are mobile primates. They mainly feed on foliage with bamboo as there delicacy. There physical structure is huge requiring several pound to support there sheer size through night and day.
Look out for other primates before spotting the mountain gorillas. Some of the primates you may get to see include black and white colobus, vervet monkeys, blue monkeys, grey cheeked mangabey. L’Hoests and others.
When you locate the mountain gorillas, you have just one hour allowed to stay in there presence to allow them continue with there day today activities. It is hard for the mountain gorillas to copulate in the presence of humans.
Which accommodation To Book For Gorilla Trekking
Ensure you book gorilla trekking safari accommodation close or within the area where your gorilla permit is booked. This is to avoid waking up early to drive and catch up with briefing in another area.
Accommodation in Bwindi Impenetrable National park includes Gorilla Safari Camp, Gorilla Forest Lodge, Bwindi View Bandas, Buhoma Lodge, Mahogany Springs, Engage Lodge, Silver back Lodge and others
Accommodation in Mgahinga National Park includes Volcanoes Camp, Mgahinga gorilla Triangle, Mutanda Lake Resort, Traveller’s Inn, Community Camp, Kisoro Tourist Hotel ,Majambere Iwachu, , Mountain Gahinga Lodge and several others
What To Pack For Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
- A camera to capture every moment of your experience with the family of mountain gorillas.
- A poncho or rain coat in case it rains without warning.
- Warm wear as the temperatures of Bwindi Forest drops as low as 7 degrees centigrade some times. The mornings and nights are extremely cold.
- Garden gloves to wear and keep your palms warm also help you catch a tighter grip of the entangled vegetation when you slide.
- Energy treats to give you more reason to carry on to locate the mountain gorillas.
- Light water proof bag to protect your gears from getting lost in the jungle or wet when it rains.
- Insect repellant to protect your skin from stinging insects
- Tracking boots that can withstand slippery slopes when you hike to find the mountain gorillas.
Rules Of Gorilla Trekking In Uganda
- No visiting the mountain gorillas with communicable infection like flu, covid 19, cholera. In case you catch it prior to doing the trek volunteer to stay behind.
- Never surround the mountain gorillas when you locate then because they feel ambushed.
- Keep a distance of about 8 meters from the mountain gorillas when you locate them.
- When the mountain gorillas approach you slowly move back
- Never use flash photography when with the mountain gorillas.
- Provoking the mountain gorillas is prohibited
- Do not smoke or eat in a space of about 300 meters from the mountain gorillas
- Incase you need to sneeze or cough, do it away from the mountain gorillas or in your elbo or handkerchief.
- Burry all faeces beyond recognition and in a hole of about 30 meters deep. Cover it to avoid chances of the primates exhuming anything.
- Never liter the forest because this alters the nature of the forest. This is the feeding ground for all primates and forest dwellers.
- Avoid spitting on the vegetation because its food for the mountain gorillas.
- A person below 15 years is not allowed to visit the mountain gorillas because of the nature of topography, plus the times of locating the mountain gorillas is unknown.
- When with the mountain gorillas keep your voices low and avoid sudden movements. Causing any suspicious moves may cause the gorillas to go into hiding.
- Only one hour is allowed with the mountain gorillas this is to allow them go by there day today activities like feeding , grooming the infants and others.
- Every trekkers must wear a facemask and hand sanitise before approaching to see the mountain gorilas. This is to avoid chances of passing any human communicable infection to the mountain gorillas.
Why book your Uganda gorilla permit with Encounter Africa
There sever reasons why you should choose Encounter Africa safaris to book your gorilla permits. We have been in the business of arranging gorilla trekking expeditions to Uganda and Rwanda for the last 20 years which makes us one of the very few but trusted indigenous tour operators for Uganda and Rwanda.
Overtime, Encounter Africa safaris has built a good working relationship with Uganda Wildlife Authority and Rwanda Development board who issue out gorilla permits and we are in position to book your gorilla permits anytime including short notice requests.
We can use our credit to secure your gorilla permit as we wait for your funds to hit our account. Incase of anything, we can reschedule or resell your permit so that you don’t loose out on your money.
For more information about booking your Rwanda or Uganda gorilla permit and tours, do contact Encounter Africa safaris on email and whatsapp or make a call to us to talk to one of our experienced Tour expert.