Frequently Asked Questions About Golden Monkey Trekking In Mgahinga National Park
Find major frequently asked questions about golden monkey trekking in Mgahinga National Park. Mgahinga National park is known for gorilla trekking but the exclusive golden monkeys live in the park too. The golden monkeys have a body structure that is larger than the normal monkeys. Mgahinga is the only National Park that has these beautiful primates in Uganda. On your primate trip to this small national park, you are able to combine gorilla trekking, mountain hiking, and golden monkey trekking.
They are very active monkeys that keep you on your feet while in the wilderness. These monkeys are some of the endangered monkey specie that just a few are existing in the Virunga area in the entire world.
What Is Golden Monkey Trekking?
Golden Monkeys Trekking is an activity where you follow troupes of habituated golden monkeys families in the forest. They’re some of the endangered species of monkeys that require conservation or else are on the verge of being wiped off the earth.
Golden monkeys have brown golden hairs that are unique to them only
What Is The Cost Of Golden Monkey Permits In Mgahinga National Park
The Uganda Wildlife Authority is the selling body for all golden monkeys permits. You need to reserve a permit in advance so that a ranger is allocated to you.
Finding availability of golden monkeys permits then pay for your permit in advance.
The cost of a golden monkey permit in Uganda is $50 per person per trek
What is included in the price of Golden monkeys Permit?
The park entrance fee, golden monkey conservation fee, ranger guide, security, park monitoring and maintenance plus spending one hour with habituated golden monkey family.
Is Golden Monkey Trekking Worth Doing?
Golden monkeys are such adorable and charming primates that are worth adding to your to-do activities in Mgahinga National park. These monkeys are endangered and any support given to conserving them takes the conservation effort to another level
How To get To Mgahinga National Park For Golden Monkeys Trekking
Mgahinga National park is approximately 540 km from Kampala and by road, you take about 8 to 9 hours excluding stops. When you take a drive from Kabale, the winding road of about 80 km leads you to Ntebeko Visitor Center the headquarters of the park lasting about 2 hours on a bumpy road.
Kajjansi Air Strip / Entebbe Airport to Kisoro
Daily domestic flights depart Kajjansi Airstrip or Entebbe Airport for the Kisoro Airstrip. You need a transfer vehicle to take you to Mgahinga National Park.
Charter flights can be arranged upon request from either Kajjansi or Entebbe Airport.
How Many Golden Monkeys Live in A troupe
About 100 to 200 golden monkeys live in a troupe under the leadership of an alpha male.
What Accommodations To Book For Golden Monkey Experience In Mgahinga National Park
You need to overnight close to Mgahinga National Park in order to do golden monkeys trekking. It starts early in the morning with a briefing and since the golden monkey are very mobile, you need to locate them before they head for different parts of the park.
Some accommodations are located close to the park or in Kisoro town. They range from Luxury accommodations, Moderate accommodations to Budget accommodations.
Some Accommodations Available include
Volcanoes Gahinga Lodge, Camping, Traveler’s Inn, Kisoro Tourist Hotel
When Is The Best Time For Booking A Golden Monkey Trekking In Mgahinga National Park
All year round golden monkeys trekking can be done but the drier months are more interesting because visibility is perfect, especially for photography.
The months of June to September and December are more interesting for golden monkeys trekking.
Even if Mgahinga National park is cold all year round, the drier months have less humid with slopes that are more passable.
How Long Is Golden Monkey In Mgahinga National Park
Locating the golden monkeys in Mgahinga National park may take 2 hours to more time. This depends on a number of factors like the proximity of golden monkeys’ food, in case monkey troupes fight they may move further, death of family members makes them go into hiding.
How Difficult Is Golden Monkeys Trekking
Mgahinga National park is generally mountainous expect to do some hiking to locate the mountain gorillas. Using the gorilla trekking gears would be a great advantage since this is the same topography and the nature of the soil is soft volcanic. Expect to walk over boggy soils and s dense network of rivers.
What Food Do Golden Monkeys Eat
Golden monkeys eat vegetation especially tree leaves and fruits. Just like other monkeys, when they find ants, they add this to their diet.
What Is The Difference Between Golden Monkey Trekking And Gorilla Trekking in Mgahinga National Park
Gorilla trekking is searching for habituated mountain gorillas in the wilderness whereas golden monkeys trekking is searching for the rare golden monkeys.
You need a golden monkey permit which costs $50 in Uganda while gorilla trekking you need a gorilla trekking permit which costs $700 per person per trek.
The age limit for golden monkey trekking is 12 years old while the age limit for gorilla trekking is 15 years old.
Gorillas are huge with the mature silverback male having a white saddle of fur in the back whereas golden monkeys are fairly smaller than gorillas with golden brown fur on their lower body
What To Pack for Golden Monkey Trekking In Mgahinga National Park
- A camera to reserve photos and memories of your Mgahinga forest experiences and wonderful views.
- Rainproof gears since it rains any time without warning.
- Water bottle to carry drinking water for rehydrating during the hike to locate the gorillas and birds.
- The soils in Mgahinga National park are volcanic and softer. They tend to be soggy and muddy scramble so you need to wear trekking boots that will withstand this.
- Energy snacks to re-energies during the trek and forest walks.
- A cape or large brim hat to protect your hair from dripping water from leaves.
- Some hard cash to change into local currency in case you wish to do any transaction.
- A waterproof light bag to carry your belongings with while in the jungle.
- Masks to wear before golden monkey trekking and change into when you locate the golden monkeys
- Warm wear that is trousers and long sleeved shirt to cover up your body from forest stingers like biting nettles.
- A pair of binoculars to catch a clear picture of fur-ranging attractions like birds, mountain tops, monkeys, gorillas and so much more.
- Insect repellant to smear your body with before heading for any forest activity.
What Else Can You Do With Golden Monkeys Trekking Safari In Mgahinga National Park
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National park can be added to the golden monkeys itinerary. You need a gorilla trekking permit but this is dependent on the availability of the gorillas that normally cross to Rwanda.
Birding in Mgahinga National park is worth adding to your golden monkey trek as home to numerous birds including Albertine endemics. When you take the trail along the northern age of the drystone you enjoy plenty of birdlife. Some birds you may have a chance to see include Ibis, Speckled Mouse Bird, Fire Finch, and so many others.
Hiking the Mgahinga Mountain gives you an extra view of the park other than the golden monkey trekking. Mgahinga National Park lies within the protection of three mountains that is to say Mountain Gahinga, Mountain Muhavura, and Mountain Sabyinyo. A day’s trek on either of these mountains is possible.
A community visit to the Batwa takes you through some of their past life like the Garama caves visit which reminds the Batwa of their old days of raiding. This cave is was curved in a 342 km plateau close to the park periphery.
What Are Rules Of Golden Monkeys Trekking
- Do not feed the golden monkeys when you locate them. They are wild animals that should not depend on the human provision.
- Never dump garbage in the forest because this alters the nature of Mgahinga forest yet other primates like mountain gorillas also share the same vicinity.
- Use Flash-less camera to take photos because this is comfortable even for other primates like Mountain gorillas
- In case you feel like defecating during the search for golden monkeys, ask the ranger guide to dig a hole of over 30 meters deep and cover everything beyond recognition.
- Create a distance between you and the golden monkeys when you locate them and avoid luring them to you by using eats like bananas. They are wild animals that should depend on the forest.
- Never smoke or chew while in front of the golden monkeys because they may be tempted to grab what you are smoking and it may not go well with the victim golden monkey
- Do not spit on the vegetation because it is food for most of the forest dwellers not only the golden monkeys. It is also unhygienic if everyone spits.
- Stay with the golden monkeys watching them and enjoying their acrobatic moves for just one hour. This is to allow them time to search for the food that will take them through the day and night.
- In case you feel any infectious illness, volunteer to stay behind because in case the golden monkeys catch it, they may transmit it to other primates leading to massive primate death.
- Children 12 and above are allowed to do golden monkeys trekking in Mgahinga National park.
- When you locate the golden monkeys avoid loud voices as this may scare them yet they are known to be very mobile primates.
Is there a golden monkey habituation experience?
Yes, mgahinga National Park offers you an opportunity to spend more time with golden monkeys if you book a golden monkey habituation experience permit.
For more information about frequently asked questions about golden monkey trekking in Mgahinga National Park, kindly consult one of our experts at Encounter Africa Safaris and also visit our Trip Advisor review page for more.