Discounted gorilla permit price for East African residents in Uganda and Rwanda
The cost of gorilla trekking permits in Uganda and Rwanda for East African residents is 250000shs In Uganda and in Rwanda. These prices were set to give chance to the indigenous East Africans to have that precious moment with the mountain gorillas
Gorilla trekking is one of the most amazing primate encounters in the wild getting you face to face with these scary-looking primates yet serene in nature. In nature, mountain gorillas have huge dark far covered bodies with a huge body structure. The first glance at them brings mixed feelings of fright and excitement.
Most Popular Safaris
- 3 day Uganda gorilla trekking
- 5 days gorillas & chimp safari
- 3 day Uganda gorilla via Kigali
- 5 days gorilla trekking Rwanda
- 5 day Uganda gorillas & wildlife
- 3 day fly in gorilla habituation
- 5 day gorilla habituation and chimps
- 3 day Bwindi double trek via Kigali
- 5 days gorillas & game safari
In Uganda, gorilla trekking is done in Bwindi Impenetrable national park and Mgahinga National Park. Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris are in Volcanoes National park only.
In the bid to bring the local people to appreciate the conservation work done to increase the number of mountain gorillas, the Uganda Wildlife Authority and Rwanda Development Board set East African rates.
The East African gorilla trekking rates are charged in the Local currencies of each respective country to enable the local people to understand better. In the past, the local East Africans thought gorilla trekking is for foreigners and that it is not part of the activities that they can take part in. the gorilla trekking costs were charged in foreign currency too which was hard to understand.
With the discounted gorilla trekking permit cost for East Africa, the number of local people going for gorilla trekking has slightly increased from the time this was announced. This is good for the conservation fraternity because their goal to educate the locals about the importance of having mountain gorillas is finally coming to life.
When To Book East African Resident Gorilla Permits
Gorilla trekking is open all year round for all categories of people but to enjoy your experience better as East African residents, you can use the low seasons when prices of even the accommodations to stay at may be discounted.
Ensure you know the day when you are doing gorilla trekking and the number of people you hope to travel with. The more the pay people for a gorilla trekking safari in your party, the less the safari cost per person.
Spending your nights in an environment closer to where they live makes you feel as if you are sleeping amongst them. Since briefing for gorilla trekking is done early morning, you have to wake up early to attend it in the area where your gorilla trek is happening.
There are normally fewer people included in the gorilla trekking party heading to the field during the low season so you may even have the chance to trek alone.
Chances of taking great photos and video recordings without obstruction are more open in the low seasons. You are even sure of finding mountain gorillas any time in the wilderness because there is no probability.
What Is Included In the Cost Of an East African Resident Gorilla Trekking Permit
Gorilla Medical Care
The mountain gorillas may be wild and must depend on the wilderness but at times they deserve supplementary medical attention from humans. The mountain gorilla doctors need funding to support the life of the mountain gorillas. When mountain gorillas are injured, they may need medical attention. The gorilla doctors have to go into the wilderness to administer this treatment and monitor the gorillas too.
At times samples of the dung from the mountain gorillas or their blood are collected and taken to the lab for more analysis. All this needs to be funded.
Ranger Guide Fee
Each gorilla trekking adventure is led by a ranger guide who needs facilitation like salary. Part of the money tourists pay for acquiring gorilla trekking permits is used to pay salaries for the ranger guides. They dedicate their lives to the life of the mountain gorillas and others primates that cannot speak for themselves.
For them to continue doing the work of conserving the mountain gorillas, they deserve this payment.
Park Entrance Fees
To enter any National Park in Uganda or Rwanda, you need to pay park fees. This fund is used to support conservation, park maintenance, and others. Every tourist is required to pay park fees in order to have access to its activities.
Security Of The National Park
Visiting a destination, especially the wild brings questions about its safety but the gorilla trekking habitats in Uganda and Rwanda are safe. This is because of the joint security program that rangers have with other security operatives in their countries and the region at large.
Even the people around the parks must be secure so that they do not encroach on the habitats of the mountain gorillas because of insecurity.
How Much Is Gorilla Trekking Package For East African Residents
The East African gorilla trekking permit cost is the universal cost that is shared amongst all safari budgets. The gorilla trekking packages are graded according to Luxury, Mid-range, and Budget.
Other factors that make up the gorilla trekking package include
Number of People traveling with for gorilla trekking
The more paying East African residents you have in your gorilla trekking party, the less the cost of this safari per person. This is because you get to share some costs like vehicle hire, fuel, driver guide, accommodation in case you are in Twin sharing, and others.
When you take a solo gorilla trekking safari package, the entire cost of the safari lands on you alone.
The number of Days on gorilla trekking safari
The more days you are on a gorilla trekking safari, the higher the safari cost because most service providers charge their facilities per day. Even your personal expenditure increases with more days in the wilderness.
Activities Combined with Gorilla Trekking
The more activities gorilla trekking is combined with, the higher the cost of the gross quotation. You may decide to visit other parks to do activities like chimpanzee trekking, game drives, launch trips, mountaineering, and others.
Timing of Gorilla trekking Safari
The peak season calls for more demand for gorilla trekking services so expect no chance for discounted prices. The low seasons may at times come with discounted gorilla trekking services prices. This is because some service providers want to break even during this season. Business is normally low.
The chances of trekking the mountain gorillas alone are high in case no one is allocated that group on that day.
What Time Do you Locate The mountain gorillas?
Locating the mountain gorillas may take between 2 hours to three-quarters of the day depending on the prevailing conditions in the wilderness.
The mountain gorillas love feeding from the slopes, especially in the severe wet seasons. You have to follow them there so that you can catch up with the lounging time or feeding time. It may not be an easy task especially if they are spending their day on the slopes. This is why you need some level of fitness to withstand such strenuous moments.
In case they have a newborn, the mountain gorillas are happy and excited so tracing them may not be hard but in case they have lost a member, they sob. They may move into the deeper ends of the forest.
When their feeding area is low with food supply, the mountain gorillas have to move to a new location where they can have enough for the entire family. This may cause them to move deeper into the wilderness.
In case the gorilla family is attacked by another family, they may move into the wilderness when they lose. The silverback may be badly injured during the fracas and so he needs some healing.
It is hard to even predict which gorilla family is easy to trek because of the changing factors in the wilderness.
What Are the Rules of gorilla trekking For East Africa Residents
- Anyone with a communicable infection like flu, Corona Virus, or cough is not allowed to view the mountain gorillas. This is because they are highly susceptible to human infections.
- When with the mountain gorillas do not surround them. This makes them feel surrounded and insecure.
- Keep a distance of about 8 meters from the mountain gorillas when you locate them. this is to reduce the chances of passing an infection to the mountain gorillas.
- Flash photography is forbidden because mountain gorillas are scared by new occurrences in their vicinity.
- Avoid smoking while in front of mountain gorillas. They may be enticed to pull or grab what you are feeding on.
- In case you wish to cough or smoke, do it away from the mountain gorillas because you may pass an infection to them. they have a DNA of about 96% of that of humans.
- Burry Fecal materials are at least 30 cm deep and beyond reach for the forest dwellers that would exhume it.
- Littering in the forest is forbidden especially with undecomposed material like plastic wrap. These alter the nature of the forest where the mountain gorillas thrive. This is their only food basket and they are only vegetarian. They have to feed on foliage to support their bodies through day and night
- Never spit on vegetation as it’s food for the mountain gorillas. It is disgusting too. This is one of the ways to contaminate the food for the mountain gorillas.
- The age limit for gorilla trekking is 15 years. This is because of the nature of gorilla trekking as an activity. The way to locate the mountain gorillas is strenuous at times which makes it hard for a child below this age to get over.
- Try not to make noise in the forest during gorilla trekking because this scares the mountain gorillas. They are highly conscious of new occurrences in their habitat.
- Only one hour is allowed with the mountain gorillas when you locate them. This is because they are habituated to being in human presence for just that time.
What To Pack For Gorilla Trekking Safari As An East African Resident
- Tracking boots that are safe enough to take you through the trek and hike to locate the mountain gorillas in case they are living on the slopes.
- A camera to take photos of every experience while you trek to locate the mountain gorillas. Gorilla trekking is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that deserves to keep memories of every occurrence.
- Raincoat to wear in case it rains. The wilderness is moist for almost the biggest part of the day and it rains in this forest without warning any time.
- Snacks to munch on in case you get hungry from the long trek. Breakfast is taken too early to take you throughout the day.
- A foldable safari hat to cover your head with in case it gets too wet and the dripping water off the tree leaves.
- First aid kit in case you get into an emergency while in the wilderness
- A torch to light your way in case the power goes out at night. Most of the lodges close to the park used solar energy.
- A warmer to keep you from getting cold, especially in the mornings and late afternoons.
- Garden gloves to wear and protect your palms from getting injured in case you want to hold a tighter grip.
- Insect repellant protects you from stinging insects in the wilderness. They may harm you.
- Long-sleeved shirts and trousers protect your body from getting hurt while in the wilderness.
- Foldable water body to carry drinking water with in case you get thirsty while moving in the forest.
- Sunglasses protect your eyes from buzzing insects in the wilderness.
- A nighty to wear when going to sleep.
- Toiletries that are suitable for your skin type in case you are not comfortable with what the lodge provides.
- A light waterproof bag to carry your gorilla trekking gear in case they fall while trekking. They do not scatter everywhere.
- An extra battery to exchange with in case one runs low while in the wilderness. You need to capture every interesting moment.
Contact us for more information about gorilla permits.